Monday 31 March 2014

I did a bit of Fancy Knitting myself once, you know.

Following a knitting pattern, again from that fabulous resource, the Antique Pattern Library, I knitted myself a collar. When it was finished, which had been a pretty steep learning curve for me, seeing as the pattern was written out in lines and lines of tiny instructions, printed in one block, without spacing for the rows, and in the following code: k (Knit plain, x amount), o (yarn Over) and n, for Narrow (k2tog). It came out very well, if I do say so myself, and when it was finished, I used another quick pattern to do a lacy edging as a standing collar, then stitched them together, before anchoring it to a backing, in much the same way as my Irish crochet (see earlier post). The stitches were a little looser on the side I began it, but I don't think you can really tell now. I'm very pleased with it - it looks quite Edwardian. I took a few pictures of it on my dressmaking stand - the stand was being a little troublesome, however, as the neck side is adjustable only so far, and doesn't shrink to the size of my neck. Therefore the edges don't touch the shoulders, but I hope anyone viewing can forgive that!



No comments:

Post a Comment