Friday 28 March 2014

Alencon Lace - The Queen of Laces and the Lace of Queens

Recently, I wanted to find out a little more about the process that goes into making Alencon lace. I've heard it described as the finest lace of all, though I think there might be a few 17th century rivals to that title myself. I did manage to find a video, in fact, showing the different stages of manufacture, as carried out in Alencon today. Unfortunately, I don't understand spoken French well, but could follow along with the pictures.



Anxious in case my understanding of the video would affect any attempt I made myself at lacemaking at a later date, I thought it best to take the plunge and buy the book - it's a translation: Alencon Lace, translated and edited by Roberta Morgan, (from the original Histoire du Point D'Alencon by Mme G. Despierres). In it, there is a text description, though without any illustrations of the process, for each part of the manufacture. Design, Pricking, Tracing, Fond or Entoilage - the flat dense stitches that look like fabric, Rempli - the patterned, mostly buttonholed needle-lace fillings, the Brides, or joining bars, RĂ©seau, or mesh - what I always think of as the 'background' to laces, les Modes, the fancy picot'ed edgings and fillings, la Brode, the raised edges to the motifs, and it finishes with the cutting of the lace away from its backing, mending any overlooked parts of the design, and the final assembly - the most skilled job among the workers. At least, that's what I understand from the text. Apparently the industry in the town has now been designated part of UNESCO world heritage, and a group of dedicated people work at the museum in the town, doing demonstrations, and working on new projects. This foundation was only set up in 1976, which came as a shock to me, after finding out that almost everywhere interesting on the subject of lace closed in that very decade! If this place isn't a reason to carry on aspiring to greater things, I don't know what is. One day, I will have to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment