Friday 21 March 2014

Feedback to Working from Sketchbooks Section.


Some sketches taken from the early 'photo walk' in assignment one.
A few questions I was asked at the end of the sketching section of assignment one.
Have you ever thought about drawing in this way before?
Well, I've done a fair bit of sketching in my time. I'm not sure if I'm able, at this stage, to imagine the right way to go about turning sketches of photos into textile work (though on some sketches I have made suggestions to my future self), but it was quite enjoyable to use all the different techniques - or a cross-section of them, at least. I've never used bleach as part of a visual art before though, I'll say that much!
Were you able to be inventive about the range of marks you made?
As I say, I did quite enjoy the section, particularly the bleaching, as it was so quickly effective, even if it was a little sinister, sucking the colour out of the paper. I used as wide a range of subjects as I had to hand, and tried not to over-think the process. As I haven't done this in relation to textiles before, I'm not sure I can judge my inventiveness. However, I did feel as though I were 'limbering up' to be a little sketchy and unorthodox with my stitching, which was quite a nice feeling. I should perhaps have laid aside my torn stencil earlier, but I was quite pleased with the way I could make lines of colours and themes with it. Maybe that was bad of me?
Did you explore a wide range of media?
As I say, I took advantage of the list of suggestions, and I think I managed most of them.
Are you pleased with what you've done? Do you think it will help you to approach drawing more confidently?
Do you know, I think it will. As this course's sketching won't necessarily resemble the section's finished work, I think I will be able to allow myself to be a little freer with my materials, not to mention time! They're more like visual notes than preparatory work when it comes to textiles, or at least, that's the impression I get.
Which exercise did you most enjoy, and why?
I think I enjoyed the ink and oil pastel sketches seen on the right-hand page of my sketchbook pictured above. I've always liked working with ink, and the 8x8cm grid approach helped me to crop the viewing area of my inspirational photos down to a more reasonable frame. 
Which media did you most enjoy working with, and why?
Ink, as it's always been my favourite, whether pen or wash. Though as I mentioned previously, I did rather enjoy spreading a little bleach about as well! Perhaps because it made me feel like a rebel. No, that's a little sad!
What other forms of mark-making could you try?
It'll likely come up later, but I think in a practical sense, a good base of free-machine embroidery could be a mark-making technique for use in textiles. Sketching-wise, I've found that a good technique in my painting work is a cake piping bag full of paint, to copy textures onto my treated paper surfaces! I could easily adapt this to become a way of copying stitch-work. Perhaps at some point I could do a project that combined the two?
How will these exercises enrich your textile work in future?
I'm confident that these exercises will enable me to narrow in more accurately on areas of photographs and inspirational pictures that could be useful for textile work. I think that, in particular, it will allow me to crop areas of work down to manageable sizes, something I often have trouble with!

No comments:

Post a Comment