Monday 3 November 2014

Some Extra-Curricular Projects, Part One, More Crochet.


Some other projects that haven't been directly set by the folder that I've been doing in my spare time recently include these additions to an 1890s style hat I've been putting together. I've been out and bought some vintage hat pins to attach butterflies to, as seen in the picture above, and made plenty of flowers, insects, and patterned grounds, all of which I'm hoping to make into a viable and fairly sturdy hat. It looks a little ludicrous at the moment, but that's because I'm basing what was in fashion at the time on remaining coloured sources, such as Paris fashion plates, rather than more everyday black and white examples, such as portrait photographs. All the objects seen have been made with no. 100 crochet cotton, plus some no. 20 for padding the Irish-style pieces, and a 0.6mm hook. Most of the objects I've taken from contemporary (or as near as I can manage) pattern and craft books from the Antique Pattern Library, which has been, as ever, a fantastic help. I'll post the finished hat as soon as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment