Saturday 5 April 2014

Embroideries based on photo walk and sketches. Part two. Puddle.

Again, for this project, I selected a fabric that wasn't on the list, but that I had in stock. It's a scrap of velvet in sky blue. This piece turned out a little... gaudy, I know. Again, here's the inspiration photo:
I wanted to use the pile of a fabric like velvet so that it could peek up between the the French knots like the water between the rocks. I outlined the rough edges of the puddle with ink first, then went up to them with the white embroidery silks. Then I started to make the rocks. I should have known how long it would take! When I finished the 'banks' of 'rocks' I put a few floating in the water. I should admit that I did cheat a little on this one. I sometimes wrapped my needle twice to create larger rocks! To finish off, I put a few thin branches reflected in the water. When taking this piece out of the frame after photographing it, the white satin stitching picked itself up into lovely ripples. Here's a picture of the piece:
By the way, when I take them out of the frames, I do trim them!

No comments:

Post a Comment