Sunday 27 December 2015

A New Technique in Progress.


The first part of Christmas is over, and I've some more time to work on my special technique for windows - it's a kind of bead weaving, like the technique used for jewellery making - only instead of pulling the warp threads up to make an item, I'm stitching them into my felt frame to make a permanently strung loom. It's backed up by being stitched to a frame made with some leftover card, just to ensure the threads are kept taut. 


By spacing the warp threads at the correct width for the beads, then crossing them with a weft that is already strung, I can create a row of evenly placed beads. I then stitch through the felt, and keeping the needle the same height as the previous row, pass through the beads on the other side of the warps, keeping them held in position. This particular window has beads of two sizes, and was tricky to warp up evenly. Luckily, when I cover this piece with the outer fabric, I can have as many loose ends as I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment