Tuesday 24 February 2015

Another Present: my Final Project for this Section.


My last project for this section would, I thought, be worth hanging on for. I made this brooch as a present, and before I wrap it up, I'm taking a few photos. As you can see, it's a beetle. It's an amalgam of many different pictures I collected of rhinoceros beetles. It's about 4 inches long. As I wasn't sure it would be a success, I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures in progress, but I can explain the procedure. Firstly, I made a paper pattern - just of the outline. Then, I got some wire - one a thick, garden-tie type wire, the other a 28 gauge jewellery making wire. I made as streamlined a frame of legs as I could with the thicker wire, and began to wrap it in the black wire. I wrapped from the body to the toes and back once, then 2/3rds of the way up, making the spines on the way back down. Finally, I wrapped a third of the way up and back again, making three distinct leg sections. I repeated this a further 5 times. Next, I made a frame for the body with the thicker wire, and sandwiched it in felt. Then I made a frame for the face, mouth-parts and horns. I built up layers of felt, appliquéing them together. I took some embroidery floss and wrapped the visible wire elements of the face, holding two strands at a time, and stitching the ends back into the felt. I used a little more of jeweller's wire to make some feelers for either side of the mouth. Next, I covered the underside and face with satin, carefully cutting holes for the horns and stitching around the mouth. Then I made the 'cap', and again, made some very careful holes for the horns. I stitched it into place. I went out and bought a gold mini-dress with a high sheen from a charity shop, and cut a piece about 5-6 inches square from the hem. I was originally going to use some of my leftover lamé, but decided it wouldn't be hard-wearing enough for a piece that would be worn. I stitched it into place as invisibly as I could, gathering it so that the outlining stitches would cover the curved seam. I carefully folded and tucked the gold and satin in at the neck. I over-stitched the outline of the felt wing casings with some more embroidery floss. I edged the head with some tiny bugle beads and gave it some metallic pearl eyes. Finally, I attached the legs, covered the unwrapped framework with some more folded satin, and attached the pin on top. I'm very happy with it, particularly the range of techniques I got to use, and the amount of improvisational challenges I faced whilst designing it. I think that whatever I decide to make for my final assignment, it'll have to have a sculptural element to it, as this was so much fun to think about. The only issue I would have with making more of them is the amount of time it takes to wrap the legs - probably about an hour per leg. See below for a little gallery.







No comments:

Post a Comment