Tuesday 14 October 2014

Reflective Commentary on Assignment Two



I’m keen to learn any new skill, and this one, the medium of print, was totally new to me. Initially I wasn’t too keen, preferring to do as much embroidery as possible to enhance the surface of fabrics. However, I can now see the benefits of a quick-to-produce and relatively easy to manage form, such as this one. Having finished a good few pieces for the section, I am now looking to see how I can further my own personal projects using this new skill. I like the idea of print as a base for further embellishment: being able to use this skill as an outline for the placement of other decorations, as well as a stand-alone product.

With the right pattern, be it geometric, abstract patterns suitable for beadwork, or a scrolling natural scene providing the edges to an embroidery, it can be a useful tool as well as it’s own work of art. I love the idea of using printing for this – of course; it could also be used to make templates – whole cutting layouts for an outfit, even.

I think that over the time I’ve been working in this medium, I’ve learnt to respect it and its possibilities much more. I think that I need to work on the design aspect of the craft, and to understand a little more about the limits of such work, before I can commit extra time to making my prints more dynamic!

If I could do any aspect of the assignment over again, I think I would spend more time fabric painting. I’m sure there will be an opportunity for me to do so in future, but producing a large sampler with my blocks, then painting in the detail – it would have made for a very satisfying result.

One of the problems I encountered in the section was the fabric paint itself. It was a kind that could be diluted with water, and made to go further in that way. However, in cases where a lot of paint in different mixed shades was required, for example, in my final black velvet sampler, paint that was even slightly diluted was almost invisible. My budget for the section was a little stretched by the necessary refills.

I’m looking forward immensely to the next section, which seems to involve more ‘3D’ textile work, an area I’m particularly excited about. This section, I hope, has enabled me to understand ways in which I can embellish the work I am already most interested in, and to better my outcomes overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment