Tuesday 2 September 2014

I'm Cutting my First Lino Block!

Seen here are the stages to cutting a lino block in my very 'DIY' way. Looking online for hints about easy transfer to the block, I found only people using inkjet printers and acetone transfers, so I decided to take the plunge, time-wise, and make the block my own way.



In the centre, the drawing to be copied to the block(s). On the right, a tracing paper stencil made from that drawing. On the left, the block coloured in with a 'sharpie' plastic marker. A couple of notes: the lino I was able to get hold of is apparently considered to be 'soft' lino, for easy cutting. After asking the shop assistants why this wasn't the only type of lino on the market, if it was so much easier to carve, and them answering that there was no real difference in result, I decided I would buy both A4 sized 'blocks' and cut them to match my near-A3 template. I begin cutting later today, as I've found a place to get some woodcarving tools from - the supplied lino cutting tools being too flimsy, even for this 'easy cut' material.

No comments:

Post a Comment