Thursday 14 August 2014

A Research Point - and Further Cross-over Painting.

Here is part of the textile piece I've chosen to look at for research. It's got plenty of sentimental associations. This was one of the pieces I worked from when doing my final piece for my previous OCA module, Practice of Painting. When I looked at the piece, I was doing a similar project to the previous one I've posted - 3D painting techniques of my own devising. As you can see, it's a piece of lace. It's machine made, of an unknown date, and was probably used in a church - you can see it's motif above the fronds, IHS. It's mostly openwork, though with two borders of a fine fabric where grapes and vine leaves have been stitched into. I'm not certain of the fabric, but I suspect it is cotton, or a polycotton blend. It is 32 x 187 cm. I have owned it for about 18 months. It was bought for me by someone who knew of my interest in anything ecclesiastical, from a charity shop, so I do not know much about it's origin. I feel it is almost certainly made by machine because of it's uniformity, it's boldness, and frankly rather crude execution, especially at the ends of the length, where it is folded and tucked, rather than 'finished' with a fancy edge. I wouldn't like to guess at the date, though it must be 20th century. What I like most about it is the openwork section with that elegant lettering - yes, it's machined. But it's still beautiful, especially on black. It's something I'd be proud to hang up in my home. As I was saying, this was a piece I looked at in my painting module, and the result of that look was probably my favourite piece produced therein! Here is a picture of the painting, followed by a close-up on the technique. What with some threads being thicker than others, I layered directly with the white main colour.




Having worked looking closely with the piece for such a long time, I felt it was as good to me as any family heirloom I could have looked at - this just feels very 'current', considering my previous couple of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment